COL 020 (Refresher Algebra) is a remedial math course that reviews all the
necessary to be successful in a core math course at Baldwin-Wallace
- Students in COL 020 will work online through the ALEKS
- Students must purchase a packet through the B-W bookstore
contains an instruction booklet for the ALEKS program and a registration
code that will allow them to access ALEKS for the entire semester.
- Students work at their own pace practicing remedial math
topics (basic and intermediate algebra) and taking assessments provided by ALEKS.
- An instructor is present to assist the students as needed. Typically, there is no formal lecture provided in this course. All instructions, reviews, and assessments are provided to students via ALEKS.
- Although students work individually and online, there is an
- Students are required to work on ALEKS outside of the
class time. It is necessary for students to put in extra time in order to
be successful, just as outside work (homework, studying, reviewing, etc.) is necessary in any other course.
- COL 020 is graded S/U based on attendance and
effort. However, a grade of 'S' is not the prerequisite for a core MTH
course (see next bullet).
- Students are assessed continuously throughout the
semester. Student must receive a
passing score on an in-class assessment in order to pass COL 020 and be
a core MTH course.
- Students not receiving a passing score at the end of the
semester should continue in COL 020 the next semester. Students who
receive an 'S'
semester do NOT need to purchase another ALEKS packet, nor will they need
to pay for the course the second time.
- The credits for COL 020 do not count toward
graduation, but they do count toward the student's semester course load.
- Part-time students are charged a reduced fee for the course.
(440) 826-6882 ext 1